Table of Contents
Youth Catchers Gear For 12-15 Aged
The gear for youth catchers aged 12-15 is a bit different than the equipment used by adults and older players. This age group will have to adjust on their own, as they grow into their body and find the right size of gear. There is a lot of information to consider when buying gear for youth catchers and what a discerning buyer will look for in order to find the best gear.
There are brands of youth catcher pants that are recommended for specific positions. This article discusses the different brands and their recommended equipment for catchers aged 12-15.
Read More: Softball Catchers Gear Sizing Chart | Youth Catchers Gear 9 12 | Marucci Fungo Bat
Best Youth Catchers Gear Set For 12-15 Age
The gear a youth catcher uses is often dependent upon their age. When they are young, they will rarely use a chest protector and wear cage-style gear under their jersey. As they grow older, the amount of protective gear worn increases. They go through a growth spurt and begin to use different gear such as the chest protector, thigh pads, and leg guards. It is important to note that youth catchers should play with the same brand of equipment as much as possible otherwise injuries can occur during games.
Components of Youth Catchers Gear Set For 12-15 Age
Below is a list of the gear a 12-15-year-old will wear on the field.
Cage style, Double necked, Metal cage, and a plastic back plate. Most youth catchers use chest protectors as they are safer than an aluminum cage. A youth catcher should only use a chest protector or it can be of Rawlings chest protector youth that has been approved by the NFHS/NCCU/NHFU (National Federation of High School Associations) and are safe for all ages.
Read More: How To Throw a Curveball with a Wiffle Ball | Best Youth Baseball Bats Ever
Some youth catchers will wear youth catchers leg guards and at times they are worn with shin guards but this is not recommended because it makes it difficult to slide into position and run. A knee brace can be worn by some players if preferred.
Some youth catchers wear shin guards but this is not recommended as they can get in the way while running. A knee brace can be worn by some players if preferred.
Read More: Best Rated Youth Catchers Gear | Catcher Outfit Baseball | Fastpitch Catchers Gear
Catcher’s Helmet (or Mask and Skull Cap)
A helmet or pro-style batting helmet is required for all youth catchers. Masks are also available to protect the face of the catcher.
A catcher’s mitt can be either a closed-back or an open-back. An open-back glove is preferable as it allows the pitcher to see the catcher’s signals.
Glove extension (a Velcro strap)
The glove extension is used to widen the opening of the catching glove and make it easier for the player to catch a loose ball. Extension should be used when a 12-15-year-old begins playing on an 11 or older team.
Read More: Girls Catchers Gear | Black and Yellow Catchers Gear | Combat Maxum Softball Bat Reviews
Comparison Table: 10 Best Catchers Gear Sets for 12-15 Aged 2022
- A set set that includes chest protector, leg guards, and hockey-style catcher's helmet
- Hockey-Style Catcher's Helmet - The high-impact ABS plastic shell sports with an I-BAR steel mask providing maximum protection and improved vision.
- Chest Protector - This chest protector contains internal protective plates that add extra protection from ball impacts, with break points for improved mobility.
- Leg Guards - These leg guards feature a pivoting hinge system that improves mobility, and a wider design for improved sliding and pivoting.
- Meets NOCSAE Catcher's Helmet and Chest Protector Standard
- All the protective gear a catcher needs in one box set: chest protector, shin guards, and helmet.
- Mizuno's iconic Samurai gear is made with high-quality materials and innovative design details.
- Shin Guards feature Mizuno's patented K-Pad
- Catcher's helmet is designed with a strategic ventilation system, 3-layer EVA foam padding, and a strong steel mask.
- Chest Protector: Measure from the collar bone to the top of the waist
- Shin Guards: Measure from the center of the knee cap to the bend at the ankle
- THE FUNDAMENTAL BOX SET FROM EASTON x JEN SCHRO is revolutionary new gear made specifically to inspire and protect fastpitch CATCHER'S
- THE FUNDAMENTAL CATCHER'S HELMET is engineered with new streamlined durable ABS plastic shell plus dual-density foam padding for comfort and protection
- THE FUNDAMENTAL CHEST PROTECTOR is a best in class chest silhouette to provide the best fit, mobility and protection
Mizuno Samurai Adult Baseball Catcher’s Gear Box Set – Best Catcher’s Gear for Baseball Overall
Featuring a padded chest protector, shin guards, and catcher’s helmet with a steel mask, this set is everything you need to be the best catcher on the field. Chest protector is designed with Low Rebound Foam that allows balls to return fast back in front of you. The Triple Knee Cup and K-Pad are strategically placed for superior protection, while the grippe surface on the chest protector helps keep attacking balls in front of you. Shin guards feature mizuno samurai g4 youth catchers set patented K-pad that inhibits sliding, while the Triple Knee Cup construction provides optimal knee support and comfort. Catcher’s helmet is designed with a strategic ventilation system that ensures your comfort, while the steel mask helps protect you from foul balls.
This is a great set for the catcher to have. The chest protector is lightweight and protective.
Shin guards and chest protector are not padded and do not fit your thigh pockets as well as expected.
Easton | PRO X Baseball Catcher’s Equipment – Best Up-and-Coming Catcher’s Gear Manufacturer for 2022
Easton is proud to introduce the new Pro X Box Set for intermediate/adult baseball catchers. This set includes everything a catcher needs to maintain their gear, from the mask and chest protector to all of the necessities like gloves and shin guards. The chest protector and the mask are designed to act as a single piece. Chest protector is constructed with attached mesh fabric in the back. This mesh fabric allows air flow and prevents the catcher’s body from getting hot while working in batting practice or during a game.
Read More: Best Baseball Bats For 7-year-olds | Are Marucci Bats Good | Best Baseball Bat Packs For 10-11 Year Old Players
- 9mm High impact ABS plastic shell with CAT-approved plate and mask holders.
- Mesh back (for ventilation).
- Five adjustable neck straps and three lumbar support straps.
- Dual, removable chinstraps (for extra protection).
- The set’s size runs small, so when you buy it, purchase the next size up.
- Also, the padding on the mask and chest protector is not that thick or protective, making them uncomfortable to wear.
- The padding gets bunched up when you put on your full gear. On top of that, your breakaway will not be that easy because the padding is thin in comparison to other brands’ padding.
All-Star AFx Series Fastpitch Softball Catcher’s Package – Best Catcher’s Gear for Durability for 2022
Whether you’re a professional athlete or just somebody who enjoys playing at the ballpark, this catcher’s package is definitely worth checking out. Catchers gear all-star features two all-star gloves, two all-star catchers’ masks, an all-star chest protector, and a protective face mask. The package is stylish, padded for comfort and mobility, and fitted for maximum performance. Gloves are made using high-quality materials, that are really comfortable at first and stay that way throughout the season. Chest protector and the mask are adjustable, so you can change the fit as your skill takes off. These items feature a stylish design, with colorful designs for your enjoyment. Also, the package comes in many sizes and there’s no need to worry about whether you have a small or large hand!
- This premium catching equipment is really top of the line. It’s very comfortable and has a great design with its color schemes.
- The catchers’ masks have a really high rating in terms of protection, and they have padding to protect your face.
Chest protector and the mask didn’t get a great rating, as it was hard to adjust them.
Read More: Under Armour Catchers Gear 12 16 | Catchers Gear Louisville Slugger
Easton | ELITE X Baseball Catcher’s Equipment- Best Catcher’s Gear for Style for 2022
This is the perfect set for anyone that wants to get started catching or wants to upgrade their gear. The set includes a catcher’s helmet, chest protector, and leg guards. A helmet is NOCSAE approved which means it meets safety standards and will protect your head from potential injuries during play/practice. Chest protector also has NOCSAE approval which means it protects vital organs from injury and can also help prevent concussions during play/practice.
This is an entry-level set for beginners and features great, high-quality equipment.
Kids may want to stick with a cheaper set as there is not much in the way of customization options.
Overall this set is perfect for beginners and even intermediate players as it provides a lot of protection while still being lightweight. The chest protector has NOCSAE approval which means it protects vital organs and had been tested to last longer than other models on the market today.
Read More: Wilson Fastpitch Catching Gear | Top Rated Youth Catchers Gear
Under Armour PTH Victory Series Catching Kit, Meets NOCSAE – Best Catcher’s Gear for Protection for 2022
Under Armour is a trusted manufacturer of performance sportswear and athletic equipment. This article provides the features and details on their PTH Victory Series Catching Kit, which is recommended for ages 7-9. Meets NOCSAE standards and includes helmet, chest protector, leg guards, and throat guard. The chest protector has been SEI certified meeting the NOCSAE Commotion Cordis standard. Leg guards have additional knee and shin padding for comfort. Since this article was published, Under Armour has come out with the Under Armour PTH Victory Series Youth Football Jerseys. These have matching pants, helmets, and mouthpieces.
- This product is perfect for kids who are just starting out in football.
- It offers great protection and comes with a chest protector that the NOCSAE approves.
- The leg guards may be somewhat stiff and difficult to break in for younger kids.
- They may tend to bunch around their knees causing them to feel a little uncomfortable.
Rating: This product gets 4 out of 5 stars.
Read More: How To Break in a Softball Catchers Mitt | Two-piece Catchers Masks
All-Star Baseball-and-Softball-Catcher-Chest-Protectors Girl’s Players Series, 12.5″ Kit
Hello! Have you heard about the All-Star Baseball-and-Softball Catcher’s Chest Protectors Girl’s Players Series? This innovative design, made by a company specializing in baseball and softball gear, provides an impact-resistant ABS plastic shell with forehead thickness and a backplate with retention bridges. It also has a contoured design, low sitting harness, steel cage for better sightlines and increased bar strength, and repositionable knee and shin pads for comfort.
All-Star made this gear with you in mind. After studying the game and uncovering the issues catcher’s commonly encountering, this set was designed to help. These protectors are a must-have for any player that spends their time behind home plate.
- The chest protector is repositionable. Pads can be moved to different positions, which allows the child to move around easily.
- It is durable and lightweight, which makes it perfect for kids who have to carry their protectors around everywhere they go.
- The chest protector is not adjustable.
- Protector is a bit too big for the child’s body.
Read More: Baseball Arm Strength | Catchers Chest Protector Sizing
Grades Of Youth Catchers Gear Set For 12-15 Age
There are several grades of youth catcher gear sets for 12-15-year-olds.
The best grade is the Nike, Mizuno, or Rawlings youth catchers gear set
This will have a hard cup and plates in the back protector, with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. It will have a rigid shell in the chest protector and a plastic neck guard. This is the best quality for youth catchers.
Second-best grade is the Russell youth catchers gear set
This will have a hard cup and plates in the back protector, with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. It is also made of hard plastic which can take a beating but they may break easier than some other youth catchers’ gear sets.
Next is the Rawlings youth catcher’s gear set
This will have a hard cup and plates in the back protector, and Rawlings pro preferred chest protector with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. This is also made of hard plastic which can take a beating but they may break easier than some other youth catchers’ gear sets.
Nike catching gear sets
This will have a hard cup and plates in the back protector, with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. This is made of hard plastic and may also break easier than some other youth catchers’ gear sets.
The last quality is the high school or All-Star level youth catchers’ gear set
This set should include a hard cup and plates in the back protector, with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. It can be made of hard plastic, but may also break easier than some other youth catchers’ gear sets. This set should be reserved for youth catchers with experience or playing at a high level.
Worst quality is the high school or All-Star level youth catchers’ gear set
This set should include a hard cup and plates in the back protector, with a steel cage and aluminum neck guard. It can be made of hard plastic, but may also break easier than some other youth catchers’ gear sets. This set should be reserved for youth catchers with experience or playing at a high level. Set is also very expensive.
Read More: Youth Knee Savers Catchers Gear